1. WORK! WORK! WORK! I have neglected blogging and a slew of household chores because I have been so focused on my job for these past few months. I've been traveling quite a bit and have some fun photos that I will be posting up soon from several of my trips!
2. My Health. I decided earlier this year that it was time to lose those pesky lbs that have been following me around for the past few years. I had a few "Aha Moments" including the realization that I have been obsessing over losing weight since forever and that I didn't want to live the rest of my life spending so much energy on that goal. The good news is that I have lost about 20 lbs in the last few months! I still have a little ways to go to be where I want but I am SO EXCITED about my progress and want to share with you one of the keys to my success so far:
Molly Wong Vega!
I met Molly through my dear friend Tehina years ago. I knew that Molly is a Registered Dietitian and on a whim one day I decided to contact her to see if she would be interested in working with me. It was a great decision! Molly was excited to work with me, helped me clearly define my goals, recognized my challenges and gave me the tools to overcome them! Working with her has been a true pleasure.
To be honest, I thought I knew everything there was to know about eating healthy/losing weight (even thought I hadn't been successful, go figure). After all, I had read every women's health/workout magazine published since the age of 16, but she gave me some amazing tips and put things in a really healthy and productive perspective for me. The best thing about working with Molly was that we did all of our correspondence by email! She lives in the Houston area and is open to meeting in person, but I found her web based services to work best for my lifestyle. If you are interested in getting some help with your weight loss/health challenges I would definitely recommend getting in touch with Molly! Here are some of the things that Molly helped me to understand that were key in my success:
1. There are no bad foods. There are things that are better for you and that will make you feel better, but food is not something to feel guilty over or beat yourself up about. Moderation is the goal. You can't have bread, wine and dessert with dinner and expect to lose weight. Chose the one you want the most and savor it. Its really the same as you budget your money!
2. On that same note, portion sizes are key. Molly taught me what a correct portion was and I quickly realized that I had been consuming way more calories than I thought because of large portions. I also realized that when I really savored my food, it took much less to satisfy my taste buds!
3. You don't need to use food to relate to people or as a social tool. Molly helped me see that I was using food as a way to connect with people and it was really unnecessary, I have amazing family and friends who love me and want me to be healthy! I don't need to eat dessert just because my dinner companion is.
4. I feel so much better both physically and emotionally when I make healthy choices for myself.
5. Find what works for you and your lifestyle and do that! Molly actually created two eating plans for me because of my crazy lifestyle. She made one for when I am at home and one for when I am traveling. They are both very specific to my food and restaurant preferences with small tweaks to create options conducive to reaching my health goals.
Here is what to expect when you work with Molly towards your goals:
-First Molly will ask you to fill out a very detailed questionnaire about you eating habits and preferences. She will also ask that you eat as you always do for a week and keep a food journal so that she can see what you are currently eating and use this information as she builds your plans.
-Molly will then create a meal plan for you (or two in my case) that will have healthy options along with portion sizes. This is more of a guideline for you to use when you aren't sure what the right option is. As you begin to build better habits you will not need to eat strictly off of the plan she creates but will need to draw from the things you've learned to make good choices.
-After a couple of weeks on your meal plan, Molly will consult with you about what is working and what challenges you are facing. She will then make any necessary tweaks to your plan!
-You can expect to receive periodic emails from Molly, following up on your progress. I found her emails to be extremely inspiring and I could really tell that she was sincerely rooting for me to succeed!
Here is some pricing information (check with Molly directly for more detailed information):
Initial Health Assessment, Diet Record Analysis, and 4 weeks of follow up correspondence: $100
Meal Plans: from $20 depending on needs/detail desired
Monthly Follow-up and Meal Plan Adjustment after first month: $50
Here is her contact information:
Molly Wong Vega MS, RD, LD
Nutrition By Molly LLC
(832) 380 – 4906
Thanks again to Molly for believing in me and helping me make some permanent changes to my life! I am so happy, have so much more energy and just feel generally better about myself. You are amazing!